Ah I'm blogging again.....go me! So first things first, those of you who have seen previous posts will know I've been working on a Geisha cross stitch for a little while now! I've managed to make some real progress in the last week or so...I'm pretty pleased!
I say real progress....I guess it's not that much rurally but it feels like it to me haha! I've actually done a little bit more since this photo was taken. It will be finished one day.....one day!
I've also managed to get some time on the mermaid that I've also been working on for an age! She's just been sitting there on my desk for weeks and weeks! Well it was finally time to start the colouring....
This was the first stage.....this was the point that i realised i didn't actually have all the colours it was suggested that you use...damn :-P I had to improvise slightly which is why my Mermaid has been on holiday and now has a lovely tan (ooopppssss). The first stage was to put a thin layer of water soluble wax crayon down and then go over it in watered down acrylic. I must admit i don't think I've ever used a water soluble crayon in my life and I think it showed! I had no idea how much water was too much or not enough, I basically just jabbed at the page with the brush and hoped for the best!
Then we had to add shading and colour.....yeah it was at this point that I wanted to cry! I didn't have the right colour for the cheeks and when I first put the pink i had on she looked like a clown! I ended up having to add more white and more water which lead to the paper starting to warp......there is such a thing as too much water then! I was using water colour paper but the last time I used this stuff was about 12 years ago when i was doing A Level (that made me feel incredibly old). I didn't give up though, I shaded some more and just thought screw it I'll use my own colours. This was in no way a reflection on the class, I had just got to the point where it was so completely different than the mermaid on the screen I had to wing it haha!!
It's a little better! I still think the cheeks are a little dark and the edges not soft enough and I'm not sure of the browny red colour around her hairline but it really could have been worse! I'm quite proud of the eyes, eyes have never been my thing. If you click on the image I think it will go bigger so you will be able to see the detail a little more.
So the things I learnt from this are.....water colour paper is not my friend, I am not very good with water soluble crayons and I really need to check what colours I'll need to use in future :-P
Just before i go here is a picture of a zebra I knitted (Zooey to be precise) for my friends little girl. She made it safe and sound and is now taking selfie's with her new friends :-)
You can see all my knitted things in my shop Snow Bunny's Knits. I don't have any toys on there at the moment but you can always email me or leave a comment on here as I'm happy to help wherever I can!!
Well anyway that's it for now! See you all again soon!